Friday 13 November 2009

Week 9 Day 68

Today hasn't gone so well. Well, it hasn't gone brilliantly. But it's interesting because I think I've caught myself in the middle of a self-sabotage. I haven't got to the part where I'd normally sabotage myself with food yet, but it's interesting to see what's going on right now.

Basically, I was poorly yesterday. On Wednesday night I came down with a massive migraine while at the cinema, which was a bit galling. And then I suffered through the Tube ride home - really, it was horrible. My head pounding and the feeling of a vice on my skull, and the increasing feeling that I was going to throw up, and feeling faint, and my home stop soooooooooo far away.

I got home, took some migraine medicine, threw up and then took to my bed at something like 9pm. I was pretty upset about throwing up, too - I hadn't done that yet on LL - and I'm ingesting few calories as it is!

On Thursday I took the day off sick, and then tried to get up and be productive (why?!), only to feel even worse and eventually retire to bed again and more migraine medication. I slept for a really long time, and began to feel human again after that. I didn't drink as much water on that day (mainly because I was asleep, and also filling my stomach made me feel very queasy again and I didn't want to vomit again), but I managed to have all my packs somehow.

Today I took as leave. It was planned in advance, and I had hoped to use the day to catch up on my writing for NaNoWriMo (I'm quite behind).

And this is where it gets interesting. Because I'd planned to use the day for writing, I really tried to make it work. Despite the fact that I'm still not feeling that well. My head is still sensitive and my stomach's still not doing exactly what it's supposed to.

But despite this I plonked myself in my study and just told myself to write, write, write, getting more and more frustrated when I couldn't produce many words.

Eventually I "let" myself have a break (not a real break, you understand - I was still working on other stuff, I just did it in front of the TV.

Then I took myself upstairs again to write. And I've produced very little. So I went onto the NaNoWriMo forums to see if I could glean any wisdom and one thread caught my eye. It was entitled "Are you having fun?"

Was I having fun?

Most certainly not. I was still feeling under the weather and tired, and was driving myself to achieve something very strictly, without any reason to feel motivated.

Because I'd planned to do this, I wasn't letting myself get out of it. I'd just got myself into a very negative mental state ("You MUST do this otherwise you will have FAILED!"), forgetting that:

1. I wouldn't treat anyone else like this, certainly not if they were just recovering from a horrid migraine. I'd give them cups of tea and make them lie down and read their favourite books, watch something that made them laugh. I'd encourage NAPPING. I wouldn't lock them in a room and make them perform.

2. NaNoWriMo is a hobby. It's meant to be fun. Obviously it's hard to write 2000 words a day, but the idea is that you live in your story and have fun telling it. My internal critic has just been going "Oh god that's SHIT, what are you thinking?" every time I try to write. No wonder I haven't enjoyed it.

Now, as I said, I haven't got to the food abuse part yet, but enough of this sort of thing and the "victim" side of me will rebel and eat something bad/do something terribly unwholesome/rebel by fucking up a different part of my life, just for some release.

So I'm not sure what to do now. Whether to call it a day and lie down with a book, or try and find the "fun" in writing. I suspect I'll need to take the former option. It's a strange pickle to be in - you can see what you're doing is wrong, but you don't know how to change it. Yet.



0 comments:

Post a Comment